Making personal style a personal goal is not a frivolous pursuit. Style goals will not only streamline your closet helping you to shop and dress with intention, but will also help you avoid random incompatible purchases.
Dee’s Style Goals – edgy, adventurous, cool
The laid-back, vintage-y boho look I loved for many years has lost its appeal to me. Instead, I am moving in more of a rocker-chic direction. I have been slowly replacing flowy, paisley printed items with edgy, modern structured pieces that will work for both my professional, personal, (and hockey-mom) life.
Here is what I am working on for 2017:
- Cull any items I have not worn in the last year
- Continue to replace worn out urban-hippy pieces with tough(er), modern pieces especially completer pieces
- Experiment more with juxtaposition (Eg. pairing masculine inspired pieces with feminine, dressy with casual)
- Play with proportions and textures
- Create new and interesting combinations with layering
- Look for and purchase pants that are in between a dress pant and jeans
- Perfect the DIY manicure and wear nail polish more often
- Record outfits using the calendar in Stylebook
Mara’s Style Goals – classic, preppy, refined
- Use my clothing budget to invest in timeless, high quality pieces to wear for years to come
- Cultivate a wardrobe of pieces I love and eliminate guilt from my closet
- This year I want to end the obligation I feel to wear pieces I don’t really like but spent “good money” on. Certainly this encourages me to make my purchasing decisions more carefully (always plan ahead, use a shopping list, and don’t buy just because it is on sale).
- Build a casual wardrobe that is mix-and-match and highly functional
- Buying office-ready clothes is simple and inspiring to me. Conversely, I have a harder time cultivating my weekend/evening attire, even though I use some of my work wear pieces with my jeans. Ideally, I want a casual wardrobe that has some great pieces I love to wear. Also, I would like my weekend wear to represent my classic-with-a-twist style.
- Aim to add more dresses to my wardrobe
- The year-round wearability and simplicity of dresses is something I appreciate and I would like a few more options to wear on a weekly basis.
Not sure about your style goals? We can help you get started.
Already know your style goals? We’ll help you reach them.
Make your appointment today with The Joy of Style and have your most stylish year yet.